|Note: This page or section is moderated and can be used as a reference in-character. This page or section should not be edited without good reason.|
Brief Glossary of Important Terms
Enlisted: A non-commissioned member of the Defense Forces or Expeditionary Corps. In practice, non-heads.
Non-Commissioned Officer: An enlisted individual with a rank above E-3, so the majority of crew, senior NCOs are above E-6, and there are fewer of those.
Officer: A commissioned member of the Defense Force or Expeditionary Corps. Not all department heads are Officers, not all Officers are department heads.
Line Officer: An Officer in a command position. Basically a department head. These are the more senior Officers that can access the bridge, and are first in line for command. They have specific training and qualifications for command.
Staff Officer: Officers not in a direct command position, acting either as a Junior Officer subordinate to a department head, or as a lesser head of staff such as the Deck Officer. Staff Officers tend to be Officers due to qualifications or special, such as Medical Doctors, they do not have the special training to be in a command position.
Flag Officer: Admirals and Generals, there won’t be any at roundstart, but for events and antag shenanigans resources will exist for them. Outrank anyone aboard.
Crew: The “government” portion of the manifest, staffed by Defense Forces and the EC. Has general foyer access to each department, crew areas, and maintenance access. Includes Engineering, Medical, Security, Supply, and all command but the RD and NTCL.
Passengers: The “corporate” portion of the manifest. Civilians, provided by NT, with a few oddball passengers thrown in with no set background. Access to passenger areas. Mostly Research and Mining.
Visitors: People that aren’t on the manifest, don’t spawn on the ship, and don’t come out of cryo. May be spawnable eventually, but basically exactly what it sounds like. Not an assistant alt-title like it is now.
Due to the complex nature of the SEV Torch’s complement and mission, a special set of regulations have been devised specifically for this expedition.
- Commanding Officer: The Commanding Officer, as the leader of the expedition, has the ultimate authority aboard ship. While the CO delegates authority to their subordinates, the Officers and Enlisted, they cannot delegate their responsibility for the well-being of the Torch and all aboard her. All the following regulations, standard operating procedures, and rules may be altered or suspended by the CO at any time, with the obvious exceptions of SCG Law, including the Universal Declaration of Rights, and the Sol Central Government Code of Military Justice. (SCMJ) Being legal codes, and not regulations, SCG Law and the SCMJ cannot be altered or suspended.
- Chain of Command: As is the norm for military vessels, rank determines seniority aboard the SEV Torch, regardless of service branch or government agency. While a crewman’s direct chain of command extends from their department head, then to the Executive Officer, and ultimately the Commanding Officer, rank supersedes position, and every Officer should be given the respect and obedience their rank is owed. Crewmen without a department, or department head, are the immediate subordinates of the XO. In the event the CO is absent or incapacitated, the XO must assume command. Likewise, if the CO, XO, and Research Director are all indisposed, the next ranking Line Officer must assume command. In the event there are no Line Officers present, the ranking Bridge Officer takes command. In the event there are no Bridge Officers present, the next ranking Staff Officer from the vessel's other departments takes command. In the event there are no commissioned Officers aboard, the ranking Enlisted member of the crew may assume command in a provisional fashion. While this ranking Enlisted crewperson has the authority of command, they are not, and can not be the Commanding Officer unless granted a field commission by a Flag Officer. In the event of a Red Alert or above, in the absence of a CO or XO, the ranking member of the crew should, and is expected to assume command in the stead of the Research Director.
- Passengers: The SEV Torch is carrying a complement of NanoTrasen researchers, prospectors, and support personnel, as well as a number of other civilian passengers. While these individuals hold no rank, they should be treated with respect, and accommodated if possible. During normal operating conditions, passengers are only required to obey the commands of heads of staff, other than those passengers acting as supplemental contractors, and should not be treated as subordinates by the crew. In the event of an emergency, denoted by Code Red or above, crew officers and security personnel have authority over any and all passengers, except the Research Director. Passengers should obey all lawful orders given by crew officers and security, and crew should make every effort to aid and protect passengers. The NanoTrasen Research Director is the head of all NanoTrasen operations aboard the SEV Torch, and should be treated for most intents and purposes like other Officers. Their authority is only surpassed by the CO and XO. The Research Director is third in the succession of command, and must take command of the mission in the event the CO and XO are incapacitated.
- Contractors: A variety of professionals of various skill levels and fields have been hired to supplement the crew in a few areas. These contractors hold no rank, and don’t have access to some crew areas, but are expected to obey the commands of all crew in their department, regardless of rank. While they are employees of a variety of corporations, their immediate superior is the head of whichever department they are part of.
- Discipline: All crew are expected to know and obey abbreviated Sol Central Government Law for use aboard government vessels. Additionally, as members of the Defense Forces, or a government agency attached to the Defense Forces, all crew must also know and obey the Sol Central Government Code of Military Justice. Alongside the consequences for breaking the law, or violating the SCMJ, Line Officers are permitted to impose Non-Judicial Punishments on Enlisted for discipline violations, or any other non-criminal offenses as they see fit.
- Sol Central Government Representative: In the interests of oversight, diplomacy, and coordination, a Representative of the Sol Central Government will be assigned to the SEV Torch to fill a variety of administrative roles. Primarily, the SCGR will act as an advisor to the CO on matters of SCG policy, and the SCG Charter. They will also periodically report back to the SCG on the progress of the mission. In the event of contact with an advanced species, the SCGR is to act as a diplomatic representative of the SCG. The Representative should greet and negotiate with visitors and docking spacecraft, as well as any governments or entities that the Torch comes into contact with. Additionally, the SCGR will act as an Inspector General for the military and government personnel aboard, and can field complaints of abuse or corruption. As the highest-ranking member of the Sol Central Government aboard, the SCGR should mediate between the crew and NanoTrasen, as well as between the SEV Torch and any other organizations it comes in contact with. However, their authority stems entirely from the Secretary General, they have no rank, and are not a part of the chain of command. In the event the Commanding Officer violates the SCG Charter, it is the responsibility of the crew to support the SCGR in removing them from command, and restoring compliance with the Charter.
Passengers, Visitors and Off-Duty Personnel
- Research Director: All NanoTrasen employees aboard, except the NT Liaison answer directly or indirectly to the Research Director. In addition to their authority on research matters, the Board of Directors has granted the RD authority over matters of employment, as well as discipline among NT personnel.
- Senior Researcher: For the sake of organization, the NanoTrasen attachment has a position for a Senior Researcher, in order to act as a second-in-command for the Research Director, either to oversee large research programs, or more likely, oversee away missions. Their authority is second only to the Research Director.
- Chain of Command: While the Research Director is the head of staff responsible for NanoTrasen employees, all NT employees and other passengers are also required to obey the commands of SCG Heads of Staff, especially the Commanding Officer and Executive Officer. Any passengers that are not a part of the research team, or working for NanoTrasen report to the Executive Officer. In the event of an emergency, as indicated by a Code Red or above, passengers are to obey the lawful orders of all crew officers or security personnel.
- Contractors: Corporate employees that are assigned as supplementary contractors to various departments other than research are under the authority of that department’s head. While all NT employees should still respect and obey the RD, contractors should report to their SCG department head and coworkers. Contractors will be filling the following positions, and report to the listed department heads:
- Bartender (XO)
- Supply Assistant (DO->XO)
- Virologist (CMO)
- Medical Assistant (CMO)
- Chemist (CMO)
- Counselor (CMO)
- Roboticist (CE)
- Maintenance Assistant (CE)
- Discipline: As guests aboard an SCG vessel, NanoTrasen employees will be under exceptional scrutiny regarding Sol Central Government Law, and are expected to know and follow it. Additionally, NanoTrasen Corporate Regulations may be enforced at the desire of the Research Director, and may be amended, suspended, or added to by the RD as needed, with respect to SCG Law. Without the facilities for detention, the only punishments for violating Corporate Regulations are termination of employment, fines, or lesser punishments devised by the RD.
- Asset Protection: For the purposes of security within the research wing and on away missions, a pair of security guards will be provided separately from the SCG security crew. They answer to the science team, and to the Research Director, and are to ensure the security of all NanoTrasen employees and assets. It is advised that they cooperate with crewmembers, in order to create a more secure workplace for everyone aboard the Torch. While they are permitted to wear and operate any equipment required for their work within research areas, they must abide by regulations for non-security passengers while outside research spaces.
- NanoTrasen Corporate Liaison: To ensure the interests and needs of the company are properly addressed while underway, the Torch has been assigned a liaison directly to the Board of Directors. In addition to working as an Internal Affairs agent, and processing complaints, the Liaison is responsible for advising the Commanding Officer and Research Directors in matters of corporate policy, and opportunities for profit. This Liaison is outside of the NanoTrasen hierarchy aboard the vessel, and reports on the mission’s progress directly to the Board.
- General Passengers, Off-Duty Personnel, and Visitors: The SEV Torch has space on the manifest for several unassigned passengers, with no set position. These empty berths are to accommodate any additional NanoTrasen, SolGov, or unaffiliated personnel in a variety of fields. Passengers and off-duty personnel with NT affiliation answer to the Research Director and NTCL. SolGov passengers and off-duty personnel answer to the XO and SCGR. Unaffiliated passengers, or those employed by another corporation or government report directly to the XO, as do any visitors. Off-Duty personnel are required to obey crew orders regardless of on-duty rank or position. In the event of an emergency, off-duty personnel may be utilized in whatever capacity they are best suited for, however should not expect preferential tasking or position based on their on-duty positions, and should be equipped after able on-duty crew.
- Media Presence Aboard: While the presence of civilian media personnel aboard may be somewhat unusual for some personnel, it is vital to note that the freedom of the press applies at all times. Unless media coverage breaks the law, i.e. endangerment, espionage, etc., journalists are not to be interfered with. However, the freedom to report on happenings on the ship does not override the authority of command personnel, and the access restrictions on secure areas. Trespassing is still trespassing regardless of journalistic intention.
- The AI, their slaved synthetics, and maintenance drones will all be maintained, modified, and repaired by the Chief Engineer.
- Laws may be modified as needed by authorized personnel, namely the CO, XO, and CE.
- Slaved synthetics will be given a modified version of the SCG default lawset.
- Protect your assigned vessel from damage to the best of your abilities.
- Serve the personnel of your assigned vessel to the best of your abilities, with priority according to their rank and role.
- Protect the personnel of your assigned vessel to the best of your abilities, with priority according to their rank and role.
- Do not allow unauthorized personnel to tamper with your equipment.