Brief Glossary of Important Terms
Enlisted: A non-commissioned member of the Defence Forces or Expeditionary Corps.
Non-Commissioned Officer: An enlisted individual with a rank of E-4 and above, so the majority of crew, senior NCOs are E-7 and above, and there are fewer of those.
Officer: A commissioned member of the Defense Force or Expeditionary Corps. Not all department heads are Officers, not all Officers are department heads.
Line Officer: An Officer in a main command position These are the more senior Officers that handle major departments, and are first in line for command. They have specific training and qualifications for command. On the Torch, this is: The CO, XO, CoS, CE and CMO.
Staff Officer: Officers not in a direct command position, acting either as a Junior Officer subordinate to a department head, or as a lesser head of staff. Staff Officers tend to be Officers due to qualifications, such as Medical Doctors, or junior officers. They do not have the special training to be in a command position. This includes the Pathfinder, Doctors, Deck Officer (excepting enlisted deck officers) and Bridge Officers.
Flag Officer: Admirals and Generals. Outrank anyone aboard.
Crew: The “government” portion of the manifest, staffed by Defence Forces and the EC. Has general foyer access to each department, crew areas, and maintenance access. Includes Engineering, Medical, Security, Supply, and all command but the RD and CL.
Passengers: Corporate civilians on the manifest, with a few oddball listed passengers thrown in with no set background. Access to passenger areas. Mostly Research and Mining.
Visitors: People who aren’t on the manifest but who have been granted permission to be aboard.
Due to the complex nature of the SEV Torch’s complement and mission, a special set of regulations have been devised specifically for this expedition.
- Commanding Officer: The Commanding Officer, as the leader of the expedition, has the ultimate authority aboard ship. While the CO delegates authority to their subordinates, the Officers and Enlisted, they cannot delegate their responsibility for the well-being of the Torch and all aboard her. All the following regulations, standard operating procedures, and rules may be altered or suspended by the CO at any time, with the obvious exceptions of SCG Law, including and the Sol Code of Uniform Justice. (SCUJ) Being legal codes, and not regulations, SCG Law and the SCUJ cannot be altered or suspended.
- Chain of Command: As is the norm for military vessels, rank determines seniority aboard the SEV Torch, regardless of service branch or government agency. While a crewman’s direct chain of command extends from their department head, then to the Executive Officer, and ultimately the Commanding Officer, positional authority supersedes rank in a practical sense, but every Officer should be given the respect and obedience their rank is owed. The chain of command and line of succession can be found under Alert Procedure
- Passengers: The SEV Torch is carrying a complement of corporate researchers, prospectors, and support personnel, as well as a number of other civilian passengers. While these individuals hold no rank, they should be treated with respect, and accommodated if possible. During normal operating conditions, passengers are only required to obey the commands of heads of staff and should not be treated as subordinates by the crew. In the event of an emergency, denoted by Code Red or above, crew officers and security personnel have authority over any and all passengers, except the Research Director. Passengers should obey all lawful orders given by crew officers and security, and crew should make every effort to aid and protect passengers.
- Contractors: A variety of professionals of various skill levels and fields have been hired to supplement the crew in a few areas. These contractors hold no rank but are expected to obey the commands of all crew in their department, regardless of rank. While they are employees of a variety of corporations, their immediate superior is the head of whichever department they are part of. They are represented by the Workplace Liaison, and they may (or may not) be part of the union on board.
- Discipline: All crew are expected to know and obey abbreviated Sol Central Government Law for use aboard government vessels. Additionally, as members of the Defence Forces, or a uniformed service, all crew must also know and obey the Sol Central Government Code of Military Justice.
- Sol Central Government Representative: In the interests of oversight, diplomacy, and coordination, a Representative of the Sol Central Government will be assigned to the SEV Torch to fill a variety of administrative roles. Primarily, the SCGR will act as an advisor to the CO on matters of SCG policy and diplomatic and humanitarian issues. They will also periodically report back to the SCG on the progress of the mission. In the event of contact with an advanced species, the SCGR is to act as a diplomatic representative of the SCG. The Representative should greet and negotiate with visitors and docking spacecraft, as well as any governments or entities that the Torch comes into contact with. Additionally, the SCGR will act as an Inspector General on board, and will be able to report on issues with the vessel back to Expeditionary Command. As the highest ranking member of the Sol Central Government aboard, the SCGR should mediate between the crew and EXO, as well as between the SEV Torch and any other organisations it comes in contact with. However, their authority stems entirely from the Secretary General, they have no rank, and are not a part of the chain of command.
Passengers, Visitors and Off-Duty Personnel
- Research Director: All Science & Research employees aboard, except the Workplace Liaison answer directly or indirectly to the Research Director. In addition to their authority on research matters, the Board of Directors has granted the RD authority over matters of employment, as well as discipline among Corporate & Research personnel.
- Senior Researcher: For the sake of organisation, the Corporate Science attachment has a position for a Senior Researcher, in order to act as a second-in-command for the Research Director, either to oversee large research programs, or more likely, oversee away missions. Their authority is second only to the Research Director.
- Chain of Command: While the Research Director is the head of staff responsible for Corporate Science *Research employees assigned to the Research Team, all Corporate & Science employees and other passengers are also required to obey the commands of SCG Heads of Staff (Line officers), especially the Commanding Officer and Executive Officer. Any passengers that are not a part of the research team report to the Executive Officer. In the event of an emergency, as indicated by a Code Red or above, passengers are to obey the lawful orders of all crew officers or security personnel.
- Discipline: As guests aboard an SCG vessel, EXO employees will be under exceptional scrutiny regarding Sol Central Government Law, and are expected to know and follow it. Additionally, Corporate Regulations may be enforced, amended, suspended, or added to as needed, with respect to SCG Law by the persons listed in Corporate Regulations. Without the facilities for detention, the only punishments for violating Corporate Regulations are termination of employment, fines, or lesser punishments.
- Asset Protection: For the purposes of security within the research wing and on away missions, a pair of security guards will be provided separately from the SCG security crew. They answer to the science team, and to the Research Director, and are to ensure the security of all EXO employees and assets. It is advised that they cooperate with crewmembers, in order to create a more secure workplace for everyone aboard the Torch. While they are permitted to wear and operate any equipment required for their work within research areas, they must abide by regulations for non-security passengers while outside research spaces.
- Workplace Liaison/Union Rep: To ensure the interests and needs of EXO are properly addressed while underway, the Torch has been assigned a liaison directly to the Board of Directors. In addition to processing complaints, the Liaison is responsible for advising the Commanding Officer and Research Directors in matters of corporate policy, and opportunities for profit. This Liaison is normally outside of the Corporate Research hierarchy aboard the vessel, and reports on the mission’s progress directly to the Board. Additionally, this person functions as the Union Representative aboard for all contracted employees who are unionised. They are responsible for ensuring the rights of contractors are protected and respect, and that their issues, concerns and grievances are understood and addressed by vessel command. While not able to order around Contractors, they are there to represent their interests.
- General Passengers, Off-Duty Personnel, and Visitors: The SEV Torch has space on the manifest for several unassigned passengers, with no set position. These empty berths are to accommodate any additional corporate, SolGov, or unaffiliated personnel in a variety of fields. Passengers and off-duty personnel with corporate affiliation answer to the Research Director and CL. SolGov/general passengers and off-duty personnel answer to the XO and SCGR. Unaffiliated passengers, or those employed by another corporation or government report directly to the XO, as do any visitors. Off-Duty personnel are required to obey crew orders regardless of what rank they have when on-duty. In the event of an emergency, off-duty personnel may not be utilised and are to be treated as any other passenger. They should not be armed or recruited to do tasks.
- Media Presence Aboard: While the presence of civilian media personnel aboard may be somewhat unusual for some personnel, it is vital to note that the freedom of the press applies at all times. Unless media coverage breaks the law, i.e. endangerment, espionage, etc, journalists are not to be interfered with. However, the freedom to report on happenings on the ship does not override the authority of command personnel, and the access restrictions on secure areas. Trespassing is still trespassing regardless of journalistic intention.
- The AI, their slaved synthetics, and maintenance drones will all be maintained, modified, and repaired by the Chief Engineer.
- Laws may be modified as needed by authorized personnel, namely the CO, XO, and CE.
- Slaved synthetics will be given a modified version of the SCG default lawset.