If you want to take a look at this page while editing, you can click on [Editing help] down beside the buttons. Especially handy if you want to look up a template.
Style Guide for BS12 Wiki Articles
This is just a quick list of general suggestions for wiki editing guidelines, after Spectre suggested it. This is more of a meta-wiki page than an actual page.
- Whenever possible, properly capitalize links and link names. This fits in better with how the Wiki supports article names at a software level, and proper nouns are supposed to be capitalized anyway. If you're not sure try this website.
- Try not to make every reference to a wiki article a link. The first one or two in an article is perfectly sufficient.
- Fill out the edit summary comment to let people know what changes you've made.
- We try to keep the wiki semi-serious. Making things entertaining to read is key, but we don't really need jokes everywhere.
- Keep on subject. Try to keep articles related to the title. If you feel like you're going off on a tangent, try linking to a new article.
- For fluff pages, "NanoTrasen" is typically spelled with two capital letters.
- Avoid double redirects wherever possible. A double redirect is when a page redirects you to another redirect page. To avoid infinite loops, MediaWiki does not redirect the user more than once at a time and double redirects become annoying because of it.
- Add more suggestions here
Templates and Categories
Here is a list of all Categories and the important Templates we are using. If you make one, add it to the list (some templates automatically add categories to an article if you use them).
- Categories (Note: Some Categories redirect to a wikipage. To get to the Category, click on the reference below the pagename)
Please read the description in every category and add it to an article where appropriate.
These templates are used to mark pages with special conditions (such as a work in progress, an outdated page, etc.)
- Stubs: Template and Category
- Outdated page: Template and Category
- Needs Revision: Template
- Work in Progress: Template and Category
- Ported Wiki Pages: Template
- Slated for Removal: Template and Category
- Removed Content: Template and Category
In general, uploaded images should be clear and relevant to the content on the wiki. Ideally, you should only upload an image if you intend to use that image on a wiki page and if a suitable image doesn't already exist.
- If you want to upload an image, check first if there is an older version of the image already in the wiki. If there is, update it. That will automatically do everything else for you. And it keeps the wiki tidy.
- A list of all of the images currently on the wiki can be found at Special:ListFiles.
- When uploading images, try to use GIF or PNG format. These formats are lossless compression formats, unlike JPEG, and are not huge, unlike BMP.
- Ensure images have a transparent background where applicable, especially if you want to use that image with a template that has a colored background.
Unfortunately, sometimes the wiki administrators will block a user account or IP address from making edits to the Baystation12 wiki. Reasons for being temporarily or permanently blocked may include, but are not limited to the following common-sense items:
- Inserting (egregiously) false information
- Removing content from pages (ie. "blanking")
- Spamming links to external sites
- Inserting nonsense/gibberish into pages
- Intimidating behavior/harrassment
- Abusing multiple accounts (eg. to get around a previous block)
- Unacceptable usernames
Wikibots are acceptable but must be approved for use by any wiki administrator or loremaster. Unapproved bot activity may be met with a permanent block from editing, especially in the case of spam or bulk edits.
If you believe you have been wrongfully or unjustly blocked, please contact the wiki administrator that banned you directly either on the forums or through the Baystation12 wiki IRC, #bs12wiki on irc.sorcery.net. Please include your wiki account name and a short description of why you were blocked.