These are our rules. Their purpose is to maintain player immersion and enjoyment in our Heavy Roleplay environment. If you have additional questions about the rules, or just want to make sure that you or someone else isn't breaking them, then feel free to contact a staff member via adminhelp (F1 key) or another official channel.
Before playing, you are expected to familiarize yourself with SCG Law, as well as Standard Operating Procedure, and, if you'll be playing a military character, the SCMJ. Alternatively, the Corporate Regulations for NanoTrasen characters.
These rules serve to maintain a safe and enjoyable environment for our players, in accordance with our basic principles as a roleplay-oriented server. If you notice someone breaking these rules, please report it to the staff via adminhelp or by lodging a forum complaint.
0. The spirit of the rules is more important than the rules themselves
- 0.1 Using the specific wording of the rules to get around them or to punish someone else is still against the rules.
- 0.2 Our intention with these rules is to make sure everyone is having fun, and that immersion is kept intact. All rulings should reflect this.
1. Don't be a dick
- 1.1 You're here to have fun, but doing so at the expense of other players isn't acceptable.
- 1.2 Don't be overly offensive, spam OOC or IC channels, grief, or complain excessively about other players.
- 1.3 Playing a character who is disrespectful towards other characters is acceptable within reason, as long as they abide by the other rules.
2. Listen to staff
- 2.1 The word of the staff is law.
- 2.2 If you disagree with a ruling, bring it up after the round with the staff member, the staff manager, or via official complaint.
- 2.3 If a staff member is blatantly abusing this rule, then we urge you to contact a senior immediately, or if necessary, file an official complaint.
3. Keep IC and OOC separate
- 3.1 When in-game, only use knowledge your character would reasonably know.
- 3.2 Don't talk about in-round events via any of the OOC channels until after the round has ended.
- 3.3 OOC channels include LOOC, AOOC, and third-party programs, as well as the BYOND pager, or any other means of communicating information out-of-character.
4. Adult content is forbidden
- 4.1 Posting any adult content on any official channel via text, image, or link is strictly forbidden.
- 4.2 Adult content also includes erotic roleplaying (ERP), as well as going AFK to ERP via any OOC channels.
5. Use English
- 5.1 We are an English server, all communication should be in English.
- 5.2 Having a character occasionally use words from non-English languages is acceptable.
6. Don't kill needlessly
- 6.1 Avoid using lethal force when it's not necessary and try to resolve situations with as little violence as possible.
- 6.2 Never commit suicide without direct admin or moderator permission.
- 6.3 Antagonists are given some exemption to this rule.
7. Don't Powergame
- 7.1 Don't play to win, play as your character.
- 7.2 Do not exploit bugs or mechanics in order to gain an advantage.
- 7.3 Do not play a character with an unreasonably vast set of skills.
- 7.4 Do not prepare in advance for a situation that you could not know about in-character.
8. Don't mess with AFK players
- 8.1 If a player is AFK or disconnected, then don't mess with them without direct permission from an admin or moderator.
- 8.2 If a disconnected player has important equipment on their character, you are allowed to remove it with staff permission.
- 8.3 You are allowed to move a disconnected player to cryo without staff permission.
- 8.4 If a player is disconnected, their character will be asleep and unresponsive; in-character, this is called SSD or sudden sleep disorder.
9. Don't start end-round conflict
- 9.1 Within a few minutes of round-end, (generally, once the bluespace engine has begun its 3-minute charging period,) conclude all ongoing conflicts, and do not begin any new conflicts.
- 9.2 This does not apply to the escape pods being launched.
10. Don't vote-sway
- 10.1 Do not use OOC or IC channels in an attempt to influence in-game votes.
- 10.2 This includes gamemode votes, as well as round-end and add-antag votes.
11. Don't multi-key or ban-evade
- 11.1 Do not log onto the server with multiple BYOND accounts.
- 11.2 Do not use an alternate account to evade a previous ban.
12. Use an appropriate ckey
- 12.1 Your ckey, or BYOND username, must be appropriate and non-offensive.
- 12.2 You will not be allowed to play on the server unless you use an account with an appropriate ckey.
13. Admin-shopping is forbidden
- 13.1 When an admin makes a ruling on an issue, do not attempt to have the ruling overturned by another admin.
- 13.2 Admin rulings are final. If you feel that a ruling conflicts with the rules, contact a senior or file a complaint.
14. Don't advertise
- 14.1 Advertising on official Baystation12 channels is strictly prohibited without permission from the community moderation team.
- 14.2 This includes, but is not limited to: advertising a discord server, SS13 server, product, service, website, or youtube/twitch channel.
These rules serve to ensure that characters remain reasonably believable within the lore of the world we've set forth, and that they function well alongside other characters. If you notice someone breaking these rules, report it to the staff via adminhelp or by lodging a forum complaint.
1. Play as your character
- 1.1 This is a High Roleplaying enforced server. You are expected to act as your character would in-game, and try to perform actions that would be in their own best interests.
- 1.2 This includes self-preservation and maintaining a degree of realism in your character's interactions.
2. Play a reasonable character
- 2.1 Your character should be sane and mature within reason and should think and act as such.
- 2.2 Your character should fit within the current setting.
- 2.3 Your character should act with common sense and should react to situations realistically.
3. Use an acceptable name
- 3.1 Your character should have a reasonable, species-appropriate name.
- 3.2 Your character's name should not have any honorifics, middle names, or nicknames.
- 3.3 Your character's name should not explicitly be a joke or a reference to popular culture.
4. Obey the chain of command
- 4.1 Your character should respect and obey their superiors unless their orders are harmful to your character, in violation of the law, or would break the rules.
- 4.2 Characters who are excessively insubordinate would not remain employed for long.
- 4.3 Any AIs or law-bound synthetics are required to obey their laws, and any AI-bound synthetics are required to obey their master unit.
5. Perform your job
- 5.1 If you join the round in a certain job slot or role, you are expected to perform that job as well as possible.
- 5.2 Your character must be qualified for that job, and cannot have any disabilities, mental or otherwise, that would prevent them from doing that job effectively.
- 5.3 Refrain from performing the duties of another job unless doing so is necessary for survival, or within reason if there are no other personnel available to do so.
- 5.4 This also applies to antagonist roles. The job of an antagonist is to make the round interesting and to antagonize the crew.
6. Don't self-antagonize
- 6.1 You are expected to play a reasonable character that doesn't commit major crimes or cause significant problems for other characters without exceptionally good reason.
- 6.2 You should not try to cause excessive damage or steal the spotlight from the auto-assigned antagonists.
7. Use different characters for non-crew roles
- 7.1 You should not play non-crew antagonists such as ninjas, wizards, raiders, or mercenaries as one of your normal characters.
- 7.2 This also applies to other non-crew roles such as stowaway or merchant.
These rules and exemptions serve to allow antagonists the freedom to heavily influence the round and to drive the story forward by interacting with the crew via conflict. The purpose of antagonists is to make the round interesting for the players.
1. Antagonists are not exempt from the rules
- 1.1 Antagonists are still required to abide by the rules, despite having more leeway in some matters.
- 1.2 Keep the rules in mind when playing as an antagonist, as it's likely that staff will scrutinize your actions closely.
2. Antagonists are allowed to kill
- 2.1 Antagonists may use lethal force or damage the vessel in order to further their goals.
- 2.2 This does not mean antagonists have a license to grief, or to go on a killing spree.
- 2.3 It is encouraged to roleplay and interact with victims when possible, but you're allowed to kill other characters silently when necessary.
3. Antagonists are allowed to have a wide array of skills
- 3.1 Antagonists have significant leeway in what their characters can or can't do, and in what knowledge they're allowed to have.
- 3.2 They are permitted to act outside their regular job or skillset as is necessary to keep the round interesting.
4. Antagonists' actions are not canon
- 4.1 After the round ends, any antagonists or actions taken by those antagonists cease to exist.
- 4.2 There may be some information regarding antagonist types specified in the lore, that is considered canon.
These rules serve to maintain staff discipline and encourage staff to work with the players to ensure that the game remains enjoyable for everyone. If you see a staff member breaking or abusing these rules, report it to the staff manager or create an official complaint. Senior staff members and the head administrator are permitted to provide exemptions to the rules. However, they are to be held personally accountable for the results of those exemptions.
1. Respect the Server and Character Rules
- 1.1 The staff team is not exempt from any of the rules under normal circumstances.
- 1.2 Staff are held to a far higher standard than players as representatives of the server and should follow all of the rules they enforce to the best of their ability.
2. Remain professional
- 2.1 As a staff member, your actions and words often affect community perception of the entire staff team.
- 2.2 Bantering or having fun isn't strictly prohibited, but maintain a degree of professionalism and respect both towards players as well as staff.
- 2.3 Remember that your actions represent the server.
3. Do not abuse staff powers for IC advantages
- 3.1 Abusing your powers to gain an advantage over other players is unacceptable.
- 3.2 Never act on knowledge gained via staff powers.
- 3.3 Never use staff powers to directly give yourself an advantage.
- 3.4 Events, respawns, and fixing bugs are the exceptions to this rule.
4. Respect player and staff confidentiality
- 4.1 Player notes, discussions about bans, player behavior, staff behavior, or any other topics of a sensitive nature should be confined to staff channels.
- 4.2 The exception is if you are given direct permission by a Head/Senior to discuss them outside of those channels.
5. Perform your job
- 5.1 Perform the job assigned to you as a staff member.
- 5.2 Maintain a level of activity that allows you to perform your job as a staff member.
6. Respect staff policy
- 6.1 There may be additional staff policies on the forums, which are not explicitly part of the rules, including things such as event guidelines.
- 6.2 These policies are to be followed by all relevant staff to the best of their abilities.
- 6.3 These policies are to be treated with the same regard as rules but do not override the rules.