|List of Colonies|
|Faction||Sol Central Government|
|Coordinates (LY)||-28.8X, -27Y|
Kingston is an occupied ocean world, the largest terrestrial world in the Lordanian system, located just under 40 light years from Sol. It is the third planet in the Lordania system, lying at the inner edge of the star's habitable zone. The planet's surface is 90% water covered, compared to Earth's 71%. As a result, the planet's only land is in the form of two large subcontinents and several smaller islands. Much of the planet's islands exist around it's equator. Due to this, and the planet's proximity to its star, the planet is a humid, tropic to sub-tropical paradise. Kingston is a hugely popular tourist destination, with it's Capital, New Havana, rated as the #1 tourist destination for Sol residents 2298, 2302, and 2306.
Kingston is extremely multicultural, more so than any other planet in the region, and many old human cultures still hold an enclave. It also contains a large number of Tritonians, both as tourists and residents. An estimated 15 million tourists visit annually. While a highway and magnetic train system link many of the islands, boats are incredibly popular amongst tourists and workers alike. Many of the islands on the planet have been created via tectonic plates or volcanic eruption, making the planet more geologically active than Earth. Despite this, technology of the 24th century has developed enough to mitigate most structural damage done in the event of earthquakes or tsunamis.
The planet is governed by the United Nations of Kingston, which is a formal body created to represent the eight nations on the planet.
Its close proximity to its neighbour, Lordania has meant that the much of the planets' history has been tied together. Formally, they create the United Metropolises of Lordania and Kingston, a trade agreement between the two nations.
The planet is mostly water, with various island chains linking the planet. While a highway and magnetic train system link many of the islands, boats are incredibly popular amongst tourists and workers alike. Most of the islands are humid and tropical, though larger formations of mountain ridges and volcanoes are common on most large islands. Many of the islands on the planet have been created via tectonic plates or volcanic eruption, making the planet more geologically active than Earth. Despite this, technology of the 24th century has developed enough to mitigate most structural damage done in the event of earthquakes or tsunamis. A notable exception to this is the Great Flooding of 2264.
- Kallihar is the second largest continental island on the planet, located near the equator. A large central mountain range, flanked by dense tropical rainforests runs across the length of the island, isolating the north, south, and east of the island, giving way to natural geographic boundaries for each of the nations on the continent. The city of New Havana sits on the south coast, in a small cove nestled across two smaller additional islands. It is the seat of the United Nations of Kingston, and home to the Republic of Havana. Much of the island has been developed, with large highways and rail connections. The Republic of Heritage is based on the north-west peninsula, based out of the city of Otatota, built around the shallow Kingston Bay (Where the planet gets its name from).
- Garash is the largest continent on the planet, stretching from the warm waters of the equator, to the frozen arctic ice in the north. A large mountain range runs down the middle of the island, with the rest of the terrain being tundra. Despite being the largest, it is also the least populated. The entire island makes up the Republic of Birmingham, with Hulltown as its capital. Most populated settlements are around the coast and around Hulltown.
- Bromsay is an archipelago located in the shallow bay between Garash and Kallihar, on which the city of Amaigia is settled. Amaigia is a trade city, developed around the highway system, and predominantly handles incoming and outgoing sea trade, which remains extremely profitable for planet wide trade. The archipelago connects Kallihar and Garash together, and is home to much of the SCG's planetary infrastructure outside of the capital.
- Thalis is an archipelago of five islands, numerous islets, and seamounts, located in the South Mechis Ocean. It is located to the south of Tritonia, and south-west of Kallihar. Thalis is a cold, sparsely populated region that survives on rare earth and natural resources. Despite it's isolation, it is one of the most industrialised nations on the planet, with a large portion of its population working in the industrial sector.
- Sisoti is the most isolated, and most southern island on the planet. It is volcanically and geologically active, characterised by lava fields and glaciers. It has been described by many as a contemporary to Iceland, prior to Earth's climate disaster. Sisoti provides a majority of Kingston's energy requirements through the use of geothermal power.
- Armencio is a small, geographically isolated continental island chain located in northern hemisphere. It is comprised of two large islands connected by a jagged and rough seabridge. The Republic of Armencio is located on the larger of the two islands. Due to its proximity to Tritonia, the region has become a center for shipbuilding, and naval operations.
- Tritonia is the largest region on Kingston, comprised of a large underwater plateau to the west of Kingston Bay. Despite being underwater, it sits at a comfortable enough pressure to allow for large scale developments. Originally founded as an offshore natural gas and refinement facility, the area grew massively due to Tritonian immigration in the mid 2200s. It is now a formal democratic republic, the first to ever be founded by Tritonians outside of Sol. Two major cities have been developed; Neptune, a large metropolitan region built off the coast of Kallihar. It has been built both above and below water, and hosts a large spaceport; and Varuna which is located much further out in the ocean, built on a continental slope. There are no above-water developments for this city, and it is only accessible via submersible shuttlecraft. Despite this isolation, it has become home to some of the most prominent Tritonian thinkers, a city of mostly Tritonian culture.
- Most of Kingston's surface is covered in deep ocean water. As a result, much of the seabed has yet to be explored. Life in Kingston's oceans developed much like Earth's, and as such share biological similarities with fish, if not physical.
The people of Kingston are known for their sense of ease and "laidback attitudes". Growing up on a waterworld, most Kingstonians can sail a boat, something rare in the 24th Century.
As the planet is divided into large islands, many different cultures exist on the planet. The majority of these cultures are descendent from various Solar cultures, such as Monisian and English. Outside of Sol influence, large groups of Kingstonians speak Spacer.
The city of Birmingham is home to the "Children of Kingston Revolution", a socio-cultural movement dedicated to non-violence and liberal policies. This period shares many similarities with earlier youth movements on Earth in the 1960s.
Law and Government
Kingston is a transnational nation, with each island divided into it's own state. Similar to the 21st Century USA, each state has it's own laws and government, with senators convening in New Havana to discuss politics. Currently Kingston is governed by President Oona Lewandoski. The largest country is technically Tritonia, the underwater nation lays claim to vast areas of underwater land. However, the most populous is Kallihar. Formally, it makes up the United Metropolises of Lordania and Kingston, an economic and political partnership.
Traditionally neutral, Kingston has maintained it's status quo for over 40 years now. However, the recent socio-cultural movements across the planet have brought about change.
Kingston, as a member of the Sol Central Government, is protected by both the Third Fleet, and by it's own planetary defence force. The Kingston PDF is typically comprised of reservists, who when needed are drafted into the SCG Fleet or Army, or otherwise serve as border and immigration control. It has enjoyed relative peace for it's entire existence.
Kingston is home to 25 million people. It has relatively little landmass, and thus much of the shallow ocean area has been developed into underwater habitats.
Due to the planet's proximity to its sun, the vast majority of humans on Kingston have darker skin. The planet prides itself on its multiracial and cultural roots. Because of this, it is extremely uncommon for any Kingstonian to identify themselves by race, as opposed to varying human cultures, even in the 24th century. Regardless of ethnicity, they tend to refer to themselves as Kingstonian.
There are also many first-generation Solarians (Humans from Inner-Sol systems), Lordanians, and Yuklidians of Kingstonian descent.
Kingston has several cultural enclaves on the planet, most prominently is the Martian quarters in New Havana and the predominantly Earthling Hulltown.
Kingston is also home to the largest ethnic Tritonian population outside of the Sol system, due to the planet's abundant shallow oceans, which make for exceptional Tritonian habitation. The largest Tritonian city on Kingston is called "New Seattle".
Kingston's traditional economy has been built around fishing, spices, and raw materials. During the period of autocratic rule, much of Kingston's traditional economy was perturbed in favour of military output. After the dissolution of the State, the focus was instead placed on rebuilding these traditional fields, and tourism. An estimated 15 million tourists visit Kingston each year, primarily concentrated in the cities of New Havana and Birmingham. There is always money to be made on the streets of New Havana.
The planet was colonised in the mid-to-late 22nd century by immigrants from the nearby capital system of Lordania. Lordania had for some time been waging a class war, forcing many of the poorer individuals off-world into orbital habitats. Kingston was established by several of these colonists, along with Sol migrants, fleeing internal core-world conflict. By the beginning of the 23rd century, the planet had renegotiated it's position with Lordania, and the two founded the United Metropolitans, with workers from Kingston, and goods from Lordania. This act of goodwill between the two planets is key to why Kingston developed so rapidly.
In the mid 23rd century, Kingston became part of the People's Republic of Lordania, an autocratic state within the region. While much of the planet was developed and improved during this period, many Sol Natives suffered discrimination and persecution. The militarisation of Kingston's economy significantly weakened it, forced to fund a war that would never happen, as the People's Republic collapsed due to internal conflict and external rebellion in 2280, leading to a period of interregnum in which Kingston was formally independent.
After several years of redevelopment and rebuilding, Kingston began to find its own independence more valued than before, engaging in widespread immigration and defence treaties with the Sol Central Government, eventually becoming a member alongside Lordania in the year 2286. Since becoming a member, the planet has become a premier tourist destination for visitors from across space.